I have fond memories of this Vanilla Sauce. My mother would serve it over a warm slice of spice or applesauce cake. It was delicious and comforting. I was always left with a satisfied tummy, and a warm feeling inside. These are the feelings you need in winter, especially this winter.
It’s been nasty here with the smog inversion and red air quality alerts and below freezing temps. My poor kiddos aren’t allowed to go outside for recess or play outside in the snow when they get home. We just can’t breathe, and it’s just been ugly this January. However, this dessert sauce might just hold some amnesia-like qualities to it, so here’s to forgetting about the last few days of this month and enjoying a little warm and loving dessert.
Warm Vanilla Sauce
(from my Mama)
1 cup sugar
4 Tbsp flour
2 cups boiling water
4 Tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
2 tsp nutmeg
1. In a medium sized sauce pan, mix together sugar and flour.
2. Gradually stir in boiling water.
3. Over med-high heat, boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
4. Turn down heat to low and stir in butter, vanilla and nutmeg until smooth.
5. Serve hot over a slice of cake of your choice.
Note: best to serve this sauce and cake combination in a bowl rather than on a plate. Also to reheat, just add a little water to thin the sauce out again and heat gradually in the microwave.