I don’t really have an interesting story for you about how these came about. I just saw this recipe and felt indulgent, and decided to add sweet cherries. Then I felt a little guilty, so I added a little whole wheat.
I knew if I actually made the loaf bread, then I would have eaten it all myself, so I made muffins instead. Good thing too, because these were so darn good. No one even knew there was a vegetable hidden in them.
Chocolate Cherry Zucchini Muffins
(adapted from Slice of Feist)
*Makes about 15 muffins
1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup olive oil or refined coconut oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
heaping 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped dried or fresh pitted cherries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together oil, sugars and vanilla. Add in eggs and zucchini; set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flours, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and powder.
4. Slowly add dry mixture into the wet mixture, stir just until combined. Stir in dark chocolate and cherries.
5. Divide batter amongst greased or lined muffin tins.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
*Because I turned a loaf bread recipe into muffins, there was an odd number of muffins. I think mine made about 15 muffins. You could just make 12 really large ones if you wanted.